Call for Cases: Klebsiella pneumoniae Cluster among Patients with Heart Failure, Associated with Home-infusion
The New Jersey Department of Health Communicable Disease Service (NJDOH CDS) is investigating a cluster of bloodstream infections among individuals with heart failure and recent history of home infusion. Several patients have developed a Klebsiella pneumoniae bloodstream infection, identified upon a subsequent healthcare admission. All patients reportedly received a continuous home infusion of dextrose-compounded Milrinone, a pulmonary vasodilator drug administered to treat heart failure. NJDOH CDS requests that all hospitals perform a retrospective laboratory and electronic medical record lookback for patients meeting the below criteria under heading “Call for Cases” and perform prospective monitoring and reporting patients who may meet the specified criteria.
Call for Cases:
NJDOH CDS is requesting that healthcare providers and hospitals report cases that fit the ALL of the following criteria:
1. Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from the blood, identified from a specimen collected within the first 72 hours of hospitalization (including upon admission).
2. The patient was admitted with a placed central catheter line (including peripherally inserted central catheter, or PICC line).
3. History of Milrinone infusion within the past 30 days prior to infection onset.
4. Infection onset after July 1, 2021.
Gabriel Innes, Antimicrobial Resistance (AR) Surveillance Coordinator, NJDOH; Email: Gabriel.email@example.com
Jason Mehr, Healthcare-associated Infection (HAI) Coordinator, NJDOH; Email: Jason.Mehr@doh.nj.gov
· NJDOH Communicable Disease Service, (609) 826-5964 during business hours
This information has been broadcast to: Long-term Care; Health Care Facilities / Other; Health Care Providers; Hospital CEOs; Hospital Emerg Preparedness Coords; Hospital ER Medical Directors; Hospital Infection Control Practitioners; Hospital Medical Directors; Hospital Nursing Directors; Hospital Security Directors; Hospitals / Acute Care; Hospitals / Other; Hospitals / Veterans; Labs / Non-Sentinel; NJDOH Staff; NJLINCS and Local Contacts; NJLINCS Community; Hospital Staff Directory;